Sunday 18 April 2021

Feminism And Films

 Women are an inspiration. Be it in real life or fiction. People want to be badass as Roza Diaz, Independent as Rachel Green, and strong as Donna Paulsen. But then why do we forget about Amrita in Thappad and Manju in Juice? If they had not spoken against the wrong, it wouldn't have inspired women in real life to raise their voices against what should not have happened in the first place. 

A woman's perspective matters a lot when it comes to showing a great female character onscreen. We all loved Sehmat's fierceness in Raazi but it wouldn't have come out this bright if not seen through Meghna Gulzar's eyes. Or one of the very first films to talk about a sexual relationship between sister in laws, Fire, was a challenge taken up by Deepa Mehta. She faced accusations and criticism for bringing up such a topic on big screens. What if she had given up or what if she had ordered to take down the movie on the first day itself? It probably would not have been an example to some aspiring filmmakers of today's generation. 

 Talking about fiction and the characters who inspire, my favorite one is Aisha from Wake Up Sid. She just had something in her that attracted me to how strong she was. In 2008, stepping into a new phase, a new city with no contacts and big dreams wasn't an easy job, and yet she made her way through the crowd. For the first time itself, I wanted to exchange my seats with Sid to be her roommate. I am completely different from what she is but just the idea of being independent, away from home, go carefree, following dreams, and having no problem with a guy staying under the same roof made me fall for her. For me, she was a BOSS LADY with whom I can dance like crazy on Bollywood songs (Those who know me knows I am a Bollywood keeda). 

Aisha was a master of her own choices and Konkana Sen Sharma has made sure that she brings out a strong woman or man hidden inside of the audience to step out from their comfort zone and explore the world. 

For a long time, it was difficult for Indian cinema to dish out new content that strongly supported women-centric movies because the characters were either targeted for being modern and having a straightforward attitude or were loved for being acquiescent. However, after 2005, the tables turned and people started accepting the personalities women possessed on screen. Directors have given us movies like Lipstick Under My Burkha, No One Killed Jessica, Piku, Dolly Kitty Aur Woh Chamakte Sitare, Hellaro, and many more that were goals. Not only women filmmakers but also directors like Shoojit Sircar, Anubhav Sinha, Abhishek Shah along others have done a phenomenal job shaping a feminine character in such as way that everybody would look up to.

We appreciate the beauty on screen but the mastermind behind the same is usually forgotten. We need to celebrate the people who bring us the stories that are long lost or not talked about much through movies.

26 comments:

  1. Very well penned! Proud of you. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy that you liked it thank you 😊

      Delete
  2. Very well penned! Proud of you. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noice Rashi Desai really really amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I salute your observations and insights.. I hope one day even your name will be written as one of such examples you have mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I love it as much as I love you bubπŸ€— Also text me where I can find Fire, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am personally blessed to have a mother who is head strong & treated me equal to my brothers. I remember as a young woman asking my mother dilwale dulhaniya le jayege in that movie let me live my life before I get married ..I asked my mother what does that mean ? She said rubbish ..don't pay attention to that . We spoke in gujrati and her message was loud and clear & I lived very much with that belief & choice. I live life the way I want to live & no marriage or others can take away my freedom . Being a movie lover, my list is endless of movie character I learnt from.

    Beautiful article written and you took me in my memory lane .like wake up sid...i felt like sid..chill out karo..don't take responsibilty ..not to harm anyone but innocence and fears ..ha ha .

    Fantastic piece written by Rashi . Good depth , you know films well plus the connection to real life is really amazing. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This really made me happy.πŸ˜„πŸ’—

      Delete
  7. I totally agree to Chaula. Infact i was born to a woman who was an independent woman who was a practicing doctor. And my father was also the professional. Both did house hold chores hand in hand and there was no discrimination at all among them. She was doc and drew car like a pro in those times when other ladies were not even allowed to be educated nor were allowed to give their opinions in house also.

    And the best could happen to them was a baby girl. Thats me. Brought her up so well into a strong, bold and independent woman. Tought her to be her self with world and being good is not goodie goodie but its being truthfull and be able to do right things. I am blessed with 2 sons and have done my best to in cult those values in them and how one should respect the independence and thoughts of women.

    Here I will like to pen one more thing, when we talk about independence it comes with lot of responsibility. That area also needs to be considered and brainstormed.

    Rashi I am happy to see the way you have expressed and language used is fantastic.
    Congratulations and keep it up. Will love to read further in future. God bless you.

    Note* fictions and real life has always been different. Travell explore and see te reality of Indian ladies even today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one strong and independent woman who is the maker of her own choices. This I got to know in only few interactions with you and it made me really happy. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it πŸ₯°

      Delete
  8. Exquisitely written. Do not behold your perception. Don't stop being true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I was the only Filmy keeda in our time! Girl u have nailed it..decades after decade I have observed only few voice out on this topic which is so close to my heart. I have to see each of this movies again with the beautiful perspective you have mentioned ..Go girl Go..Conquer the world with u r pen, u r unique ideas and perspective...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masi... This means a lot ❤️

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All we have seen over the years is either objectification of women or stereotyping. Individuality was always missing when we looked at movies. These movies, I believe, shape perceptions. We have a dearth of such movies which portray the true image of a woman. It's not about portraying how she is treated, but how she ought to be treated. Also, what is more important is how womem treat other women. Do we ever think arre ye kaise kar sakti hai ye to ladki hai. And this attitude has been deeply reinforced by the movies and ads we see. We start believing and accepting that, this is how it should be and that if we think differently, we are wrong. We still rely on validation from our "male" counterparts to decide whether we are right or wrong. The examples that you've cited, are a refreshing change, however we need to reverse the percentage of such movies viz a viz those where women can be replaced by just about anything, as they have no role to play. I would also like to cite here, an example of a movie that I really like, Saand ki Aankh. It is very easy to depict an independent woman in a movie right from the start but to shape a character like that is really a challenging task. Of course inspired by real life, but I believe the characters were beautifully sketched out. Maybe more such movies will make us believe that this is not just fiction but a face of what truly women have the potential to be and will also show a way out to those who are trapped in the clutches of tradition and society. I am so glad to read your thoughts and ideas. Keep it up girl, you got a long way to go! Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nicely written Rashi
    Keep it up !!!
    πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete

Please Find Attached

  Attachment. This 9-letter word seems to be so simple yet has a dictionary’s worth of definitions. Sometimes it is a feeling that cannot be...